Monday, October 1, 2012

September At The Theater

I had the great pleasure of indulging in 3 great musical theater productions this past month: the foreign production of the world's most popular musical, "The Phantom of the Opera," Resort's World's staging of the classic "The King & I," and Atlantis Productions' "NINE."

Of couse I, like any other, enjoyed seeing Andrew Lloyd Webber's legendary compositions come to life at the CCP main theater in the beginning of the month. But I must say that what I loved the most were the two local productions of "The King & I" and "NINE." The actors and directors were so engaging, I found myself leaning forward in my seat at both shows!
THE KING & I: Leo Valdez and Monique Wilson play the lead roles. (photo credit: GR Rodis)
I was delighted to be invited by dear tita GR Rodis to a special preview of "The King & I," now running at Resorts World. I'll admit, "The King & I" isn't exactly one of my favorite musicals of all time, in fact it's way down on my list that is topped by "West Side Story" and "My Fair Lady," but I was blown away by the spectacle created by Direk Freddie Santos and the cast and crew, not to mention the absolutely fabulous costumes designed by no other than Rajo Laurel.
A must see!
(photo credit: GR Rodis)
(photo credit: GR Rodis)
(photo credit: GR Rodis)
"Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera!" - Leo Valdez as the King, BRAVO! (photo credit: GR Rodis)
Backstage after the show with "King" Leo Valdez - tita GR, Joanna Ampil (who played Maria in Resorts World's "The Sound of Music," and myself.


Directed by Bobby Garcia, Atlantis Productions' staging of 5 time Tony Award-winning "NINE" is also a feast for all the senses. So much so, you can practically taste the talent in the auditorium air with local musical/acting icons gracing the stage. The cast is composed of: Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo, Cherie Gil, Eula Valdez, Carla Guevara-Laforteza, Ima Castro, Sitti Navarro, Jay Glorioso, Yanah Laurel (my childhood acting friend, yay!!), among others, with The Dawn's Jett Pangan as Guido Contini.


Without a major broadway budget, the production is propelled forward by stellar performances, showcasing the best of Philippine talent. The minimalist production truly lets the stars shine, and the brilliant direction leaves the audience in awe of what even a small stage in Philippine theater has to offer.
(photo credit: Atlantis Productions Jaime Unson & GA Fallarme)
(photo credit: Atlantis Productions Jaime Unson & GA Fallarme)
(photo credit: Atlantis Productions Jaime Unson & GA Fallarme)
A far cry from the rather flop hollywood version (released in 2009 with a star-studded cast), "NINE" is a musical theater adaptation of the legendary Frederico Fellini's classic film 8 1/2. It follows the creative crisis of a once prolific director, Guido, who often mixes imagination with reality as he searches for inspiration for his 9th film. A womanizer and yet a genius, the audience is coaxed to both love and hate the main character who is too old to be young and yet too young to be old. And the music, oh the music, if for anything, go for the music. 

Support local talent! There is nothing like the theater!
(photo credit: Atlantis Productions Jaime Unson & GA Fallarme)

No comments:

Post a Comment